Twilight and Evening Bell....

The most interesting thing happened last night. I was at Vons doing groceries, when a friend (who had just walked out of Vons too) called up and asked me to step outside and look towards the sky. I rushed out and an amazing twilight show met my eyes. At first it seemed to be a falling missile but on closer look it seemed the trail had been created by a plane or rocket of some kind. I stood there baffled.

Things became clearer today morning when my office mate told me ( he is interested in astronomy ) that a satellite was launched from some base in California. What caused this beautiful phenomenon probably was unburnt fuel particles and water drops in the rocket's contrail that sometimes feeze in the less dense upper atmosphere and get reflected by sunlight at high altitudes, easy to observe because the launch took place shortly after sunset.

Here is a picture of what I saw as captured by a colleague at work in his camera.

Comments

Mridula said…
What a lovely picture, this could not be a point and shoot camera?
Anonymous said…
Hey nice snap and lucky you got it beautifully captured too

Amit & ofcourse Tripti :) Just got a tap on my head for missing her name
saurav said…
nicely captured.....
Pooja Aggarwal said…
Mridula, It was indeed the most amazing sight. But I am not sure what kind of a camera it was.

Thanks for visiting, Avik. Yes, the sight is very beautifully captured by this colleague of mine. He did get a suggestion to post it as the Picture of Day on NASA's website.

And as for you Amit and Tripti, read the post carefully. I already acknowledged that the picture was NOT taken by me. :-) Thanks for visiting though.
Unknown said…
Thnx for visiting my journal. The pics looks amazing.. irrespective whosoever clicked it.. :)
Anonymous said…
Nice pics Pooja, I didn't know you had interest in photography. Say hi to Sunit. convey my wishes on his MBA venture
Pooja Aggarwal said…
Thanks for visiting, Sumit and Bharat.
And Bharat, Do I know you ? Your comment suggests so.
Anonymous said…
hmm...short memory span...here's a hint 122 heath street...or sunit's housemate
Pooja Aggarwal said…
Not at all Bharat. In fact the confusion was because I knew one too many :-)

Hope you are doing well. Sunit also sends his best wishes.
Anonymous said…
sare ke sare bharat mahan..!! :-)
Anonymous said…
Great picture, should have made it to the "Astronomy Picture of the Day" site!!!

Cheers,
Aadil.
Pooja Aggarwal said…
Thanks Aadil. It was even more awe inspiring to see the sight in person.

Popular posts from this blog

Wild Animal Park

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland